Wednesday, July 10, 2013

flash flood

news.nationalpost.com -

On July 8, the western part of the GTA experienced an average of 120 mm of rain.  In one hour.  Needless to say, it was a disaster.  I was lucky to be spared the worst of it, only having to resort to garbage bag-clad leggings and clever driving to rescue my car from my flooded garage.  The white Porsche I share a lane with was not so lucky – he was buried mirror-deep in muddy water.

This, of course, on the back of the Calgary-area flooding.  Some time ago, I ranted about the idiocy of humans and the inability of some to acknowledge the obvious.  I mean, if there is retributive karma in the universe, surely it was that macabre sense of humour that flooded Stephen Harper’s riding in Calgary.  In fact, I’m sure he will use this flooding to somehow justify his pulling out of the desertification treaty in March.  So, while I was inconvenienced by a five-hour blackout and a muddy garage, at least I wasn’t in Calgary.

And as I write this, they’re calling for even more rain and a possibility of hail.  Hail.  So, where to put my car now?  Flooded garage not an option.  And outside could mean serious chassis damage.  Yet, even as I type this, I think about my Calgarian compatriots without power and out of their homes for days and feel humble.

But remember, kiddies, THERE IS NO GLOBAL WARMING!  CLIMATE CHANGE IS A MYTH!

Idiots.

No comments: