Wednesday, December 05, 2012

movember

LilBro says:

"Now that Movember is officially over, I have a few sharp words I wish to share.  I'm going to try and be as placid as possible in writing this, I will attempt not to swear as it may diminish my purpose and point.

Let me take it back a few years ago. There was this "internet fad", if you will, of females posting vague statuses that went something like "I like it on the X" where "X" is any location they choose. Many people, at first, assumed it meant something to do with sex, and where they prefer to have it. However, this was a ruse, and in fact it was supposed to be where they put their purse. The point was to not share this information with my gender, and have us all in bewilderment as to why anyone would blatantly state their favourite spot for coitus on Facebook. But the purpose of this was actually rooted in, if you remember, breast cancer awareness.

I have already made my statement on the matter, and if you know it, skip this paragraph. For those of you who are unaware of my stance, it was that of unfortunate disappointment. Reason being, there was no symbolic reference to breast cancer awareness. As well, the point was to not let in half the population in on the ruse, thereby effectively cutting awareness by 50%. It was counterintuitive. It was also doing something that I've never been a fan of, and that is the sexualization of Illness. Since the breast is considered a sexual organ in the 21st century, I suppose some of us in society deem it appropriate to link the two. I do not believe in this practise. There is nothing sexy about a debilitating disease that kills over 5000 women in Canada a year. I find it much more suitable to wear a pink ribbon if you want to raise awareness, and if one wants to show support on Facebook, one can make a profile picture simply wearing pink. But that was an old point.

Fast forward to today, where the Movember movement is very much a part of our pop culture. The point is simple, grow a moustache for the month of November. The Purpose? Raise awareness for prostate cancer. Its simple enough, the meme is there, everyone understands the goal. Many men even raise money by growing facial hair at this time.

However, there is an ugly reaction that has surfaced this year.
Many women, not just a few, have complained and almost rallied against this practise. And the reason, of all things, is aesthetic in nature. They simply don't like the look or feel of the moustache. And so, they deem it appropriate to be disgusted by the notion. I have read articles and editorials in mainstream newspapers, blogs and vlogs on the internet and countless status updates, all in opposition of this newborn tradition. I am once again disappointed.

These women, and some men, have even gone as far as to say that they will never kiss a man with one, or won't be seen in public with their mate if they grow one. But, I can't really say anything against that. Who they associate themselves with is their prerogative, not mine.

My disappointment lies within the ego of this populace. How one decides that their personal preference, over something as trivial as a moustache, trumps the symbolism of fighting against disease saddens me very deeply, indeed. And much like the purse fiasco mentioned before, these people are putting sexual connotations with it. "I wouldn't make out with a man in a moustache" is a statement I hear too often during this month, and they miss the point entirely.

Its not about aesthetics. The rationale behind the moustache is that it is a traditional sign of being a grown man. Its something that has been around for centuries. Our fathers probably have or had one, and their fathers before them. So we take this notion and generational meme and have it as a symbol against tragedy that only affects men.

I have an exercise: Imagine for a moment that we are in October. It is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Imagine the new tradition for October for women everywhere is to not shave their armpits. For the entire month. Imagine now, if you will, not just one man, not a few men, but a large group of us decided it was okay to tell women everywhere, through newpapers, youtube and Facebook, that you are now unattractive and deemed ugly by our standards. Imagine us then demanding you shave to be more appealing to us, no matter what the reason or rationale may be. Imagine, us men, telling the female population of Canada, what to do with their bodies. And then imagine, the backlash, and the obligatory crucifixion of those insensitive bastards.

I would like for you now to replace armpit hair with mustaches and reverse the genders, and herein lies my point.

Firstly, it is my body to with as I see fit, any time, any month. If one decides to to be shallow and not look past physical appearance, one has a myriad of issues that I myself cannot diagnose and solve here (nor do I have the inclination to do so).

Secondly, to say and believe in a statement like "I wouldn't kiss a man with a moustache, even if it is for Movember" says a lot more than one might want to let on. For instance, the first quality that one is withholding is not their conversational skills, not their cooking or their talents in whatever they do, its their own bodies that they are seemingly holding hostage. I can't speak for all men, but for myself, if you can't rationalize the practise of Movember, I don't want to make out with you in the first place. It's the same irony I feel looking at the women at anti-abortion rallies and thinking " wouldn't want to have sex with these women, anyway." So, in a sense, that appeal to my sexuality is now gone.

Thirdly, I want to really drive home the point I made about my disappointment and lack of wherewithal to observe irony. I find ironic that some women decide it is up to them comment about something that will never happen to them. It's almost like if a man complains about his girlfriend's period without a basic understanding of why it happens. That man is an idiot, right? A Jackass? Sure. Chauvinist? Probably. Sexist? You bet.

I tell you what that man isn't. That man isn't to be celebrated. He should not be taken seriously under and circumstance because he is making statements that are ludicrously outdated and moronic.

So, to those of you out there who decided this month that it was clever to bash moustaches, that it was hilarious to make jokes, to mock those of us trying to do good; to those of you who ridicule the idea of making a difference; to those that seek to to withhold sex and affection, as if it had that much power anyway; to those who cannot detach themselves from their ego long enough to understand the cause, I say this:

You are shallow, narrow-minded, egotistical bullies and unworthy of any more attention. You have shown the world why you should never be taken seriously. You have stated your ignorance and arrogance. Your ideals and perceptions are the prostate cancer of society and I will wear my moustache year round proudly to spite your notions.

In my life I have had 3 people very close to me, suffer from cancer, and I have seen 2 of them taken from this mortal coil. The outrage and sadness I stated above does not even compare to that pain. I wish none would ever feel that.

Pardon my sharpness. Pardon my unforgiving nature at this time. I just wish to impart some perspective.

I hope those of you who have sullied the good nature of Movember have taken away some understanding, and have learned for next year.

Signed with hope,"

No comments: