Thursday, July 12, 2012

On Stage: Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Sometimes, the stars align just so.

Nish is only in town for ten days, straddling my Birthday Weekend(tm). Our favourite Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast (…hello? he gives her a library!). The Beauty and the Beast Musical is playing in Toronto for just three weeks, at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. And we (unknowingly) booked our hotel right next door. Sublime.

AnCe, Nish, Jadek and I caught the Saturday matinee, along with about two hundred little girls in princess dresses. That had to be the best washroom lineup ever. They sang all my favourite songs and there was a happy ending. I thought Gaston was particularly good. It was all excellent.


I only have one niggling issue: the Beast. I know, he’s supposed to be animalistic… he’s a beast. I get it. But I found him to be, well, a little too scary. In the movie, he threatens Belle into eating dinner with him through a wooden door; in the Toronto version of the play, he pushes her against a stair rail, covers her entire body and, in a gravelly voice, whispers that same threat into her ear. A very different feeling. And then, (as my colleague points out), it’s like he takes his meds or something during intermission, because he comes back perfectly sweet and charming. There’s no build-up over time.

Anyway, I thought it was still very good, though I was having some reconciliation issues with such a beastly Beast and the two hundred little girls.

No comments: