Thursday, July 05, 2012

Now Playing: Brave

On a lark, mostly to hide from the "extreme heat", Jadek and I went to see Brave on Sunday.   Honestly, I'm surprised by how much I liked it.  It was funny, touching, magical, and (ironically) realistic.  It was also very pretty to look at and the voice acting was just spot-on.  Can't really talk about the best parts without there being spoilers, so...

3.5 out of 5 stars.

...Spoiler Alert!

Facts I really really like:


1) Merida does not get a Prince Charming in the end; not only does she not get him, he's simply non-existent.  Yes!  Finally.  That is the reality faces many of our princesses. 

2) Merida's relationship with her father is, well, good.  They have a sense of camaraderie with which I can relate to my own dad.  They joke around with each other, play together and, importantly, eat together. 

3) The siblings are perfectly portrayed.  Yes, little brothers can be annoying and get underfoot.  But.  They are also there when you need them and I would totally steal a plate of buns from he kitchen for LilBro. 

4) The love/hate relationship between mother and daughter was pretty eerily familiar with my teenaged interaction with Mom.  All the hurtful selfish things we say and do and regret later. And sure, my Mom didn't need to turn into a literal bear for me to learn this lesson, but this is Disney after all.

5) Merida is not perfect.  She is pretty, but not stunning.  She wears dresses on her own terms.  She likes boys well enough and doesn't feel the need to marry the first decent one that comes along.  She's a good kid.  I like her.

No comments: