Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Now Playing: The Amazing Spider-Man

Reboot!  Yes, a scant decade since the Tobey Maguire franchise began, we have a brand new Amazing Spider-Man, with Andrew Garfield donning the spandex.

I need to tell you, poppets, I was never a fan of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. I found the former insipid and the latter looked NOTHING like Mary Jane. What saved those movies, for me, were the villains. I hope they don’t recast either Green Goblins or Doc Oc anytime soon. That first trilogy so killed my childhood love for the webslinger, that I didn’t even watch it on opening weekend. Sad, but true.


Anyway, there we were with nothing to do on a Thursday, so we took in Spidey. This is a real origin story, with Peter Parker back in high school, dating his first girlfriend (Gwen Stacy, played by the fantastic Emma Stone – I love her) and dealing with his new powers, his tragic family and the creeeeeepy Dr. Curt Connors. The scene where he can’t seem to unstuck from anything? Genius. Oh, and casting Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben? Also, genius. Sally Field I could do without. Then again, I can do without her in general. But let’s talk about the star of the show: Andrew Garfield. He was bang on. Just perfect. Awkward, clever, reluctant, heroic. All of that. I’ve been a big fan of his work so far.

All in all, 3.5 out of 5 stars. Only because it felt a little draggy at times and the script was somewhat forgettable.

No comments: