Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Now Playing: Tron

I tried watching the original Tron in anticipation of the slick sequel - I fell asleep halfway through.  This did not bode well.  However, with Jeff Bridges, I am inclined to reserve judgement.

Things I loved: it was a real sequel with no apologies and with every assumption you'd watched the first one.  It actually takes place twenty-eight years later.  A lot of the original characters are back, with one glaring exception (what the heck happened to Lora anyway?).  The special effects were beautifully slick and the 3D was so natural.  I really liked that the Tron world was in 3D but the real world was normal.  It's too bad the original came out in 1982 when, let's face it, movie technology was in its real infancy and couldn't possibly have kept up with artistic visions.

I didn't really hate much in the movie at all.  Aside from the obvious unanswered question: how the heck did she get out? (not when the heck is the next part due out...).  If you are going to see it, I suggest watching it in the theatre (unless you own a 3D TV) because it's a very pretty movie.  If you're not, don't bother.  3 out of 5 stars.

***

This movie led to an animated discussion as to which movies were real benchmarks for special effects.  Jadek thought Jurassic Park was a real show-stopper - the first time that fake characters (e.g. dinosaurs) were completely realistic.  I went back much further to Jaws, featuring a very realistic shark as an actual character in a film, the villain to boot!  Matrix, of course, changed the way we film fight scenes and do wire work.  I struggled with finding a place for Star Wars, which I think is fairly mediocre but I suppose the space scenes were pretty cutting edge and actually employed some interesting battle mechanics.  Makes for interesting pre-movie popcorn conversation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2001: A Space Odyssey

I just watched it on the weekend and NOTHING before or since has ever held a candle to it. I challenge you to unravel the conundrum - did Kubrick predict space machinery or did space machinery imitate Kubrick?

I argue that all films since have used special effects to prop up a weak narrative therefore convincing the simpleton that it is a complex and unique film. Kubrick's rudimentaty effects blend seamlessly with the enigma of his story and is as challenging today as it was in the 60's.

That and CGI is a crutch and shouldn't even count.

DK

Malecasta said...

I watched 2001 recently (maybe a years or so ago) and, like most Kubrick films, I found it overwrought. Not to say I didn't love HAL and his cold logic and the fundamental driving factors of the film. You are right about the space machinery though - they are quite evocative of current NASA standards. Art imitates life imitates art all the time. Good pick!