Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Now Playing: Inception

I have a new favourite director: Christopher Nolan. Wait, scratch that. He's not really a new director… I just hadn't realised how much I liked ALL his movies before. And there haven't been that many, either. Sure, I fell in love with him for taking the Batman franchise back to its dark psycho roots, but remember Memento? Yeah, he's awesome.

So when I heard he was all Batman'ed out and that he really wanted to make something else, I secretly prayed to any goddess who would listen that they gave him whatever he wanted, as long as he finished with the caped crusader. And they did. I picture the conversation going something like this:

WB: When can we begin filming the third Batman, Chris?
CN: Well, guys, I need a break from Batman. I'm not really feeling it right now.
WB: *panic* what? How can we make you feel it? money, hookers, drugs? Whatever you want, you got it!
CN: Uh, well, I'm actually thinking of this other movie--
WB: Sure! Here's a blank cheque! Cast whoever you want! Shoot whatever you want! Just make sure you come back for a third Batman!
CN: Ummm, okay…

aaaand, enter Inception.

This. Movie. Is. Awesome. No, seriously. I watch a lot of nonsense in the theatre, especially during the summer season. But this. This is good. Great. Epic. Remember how Matrix fucked with your mind and left you salivating and a little thunderstruck in your seat? yeah… like that. I loved it. Leonardo Dicaprio, who continues to impress me, is a great lead with Dom Cobb. He's flanked by equally great Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Cillian Murphy. Then there's the inimitable Marion Cotillard. Is there an actress out there that can embody gentleness, terror and pity in such quick succession with such conviction? Damn. She's amazing. (I also love that Nolan chose to use Edith Piaf so prominently in the film… clever).

The special effects are pretty amazing too. I love how they play with chemistry, physics, and the concept of time in ways that literally blew my mind without degenerating into something cheesy or convoluted. I could follow the "maze" that is the plot of this movie without getting unneccessarily lost. Oh, and the plot? It was one of the most original things I've seen on screen in a long time. Seriously, in a theatre full of sequels and reboots and bad 80's TV shows, it was refreshing to watch a movie that wasn't familiar at all. In any way.

Loved it. Will watch again. Will buy Blu-Ray. You should watch it too. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: