Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Now Playing: Karate Kid

Caveat: I didn't watch the original Karate Kid. There. I said it. And before you jump all over me (I'm looking at you, DK), keep in mind that when it came out, I was still living in a country that didn't have running hot water or more than one channel. Here's everything I know about the original (don't click if you don't want to be spoiled!): wax-on, wax-off; Mr. Myagi with chopsticks; crane position. Anyway, new Karate Kid. Having not seen the original, I actually didn't know how it was going to end: would he win? would he lose, but gain their respect? would he not be able to compete due to injury but bring honour to his family? Nail-biting suspense!

So, really, I was supposed to see the A-team today (little known fact: they're named after me!) but the reviews were SO bad, I decided to wait until rental season. Shouldn't be long.

The theatre was packed and we were pretty late (only ten minutes early). The packed theatre is always a test of my patience. I watch a LOT of movies (good ones, bad ones, ugly ones) and I prefer an empty theatre for the following reasons:
- I avoid hearing know-it-alls give their simpering dates a lesson in cultural knowledge. Everyone knows there's no "Chinese" language, douche, and that it's Mandarin or Cantonese. Just watch the movie;
- There are no bad babies, only bad parents; also read as: keeping your toddler up past 9pm and wondering why they're cranky is stupid;
- Chatty McChattersons who keep feeling the need to explain what's happening. They need to learn the art of being still.

Anyway: the movie was solid. Entertaining with a very promising Jaden Smith holding his own with action superstar Jackie Chan and Oscar-nominee Taraji P. Henson. I really bought their mother-son relationship - well-played. I liked the decision to set the movie in China with actual Chinese actors and fighters - made it feel really authentic. The only good thing about a full theatre was the random clapping at the end whenever something awesome happened. Which was more often than I expected. It's good family fun. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen the original Karate Kid? Okay, I wasn't alive when they released "Sound of Music" and I've seen it. It's called a DVD. Ah, Ralph Macchio. . .

DK

Malecasta said...

I also have not watched The Sound of Music in its entirety (fell asleep twice in the attempt though!)... why would I want to waste my time watching silly movies from the 80's? I have SO much catching up to do, that I simply HAVE to prioritise...
and before yus aying anything about watching silly current movies, that's a little different, since it's done in the name of just that: keepng current.

Anonymous said...

Certainly true - I have yet to watch Rebel Without a Cause all the way through. It is just so funny how selective your obsessions are. Like A-team and Thundercats are so eighties, but never having seen the KKid - funny to me. Even my folks have seen the KKid.

Malecasta said...

It's not so funny... A-Team and ThunderCats were TV shows (to which which I had access during the 1 hour of English TV a day that we had); KKid and those terrible 80's movies were theatre things that I didn't have access to. I'm a third world kid, remember? :)