Monday, February 15, 2010

Now Playing: The Lightning Thief

Based on a set of books I haven't read but that have been highly recommended to me, The Lightning Thief (or, its proper title, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief) had me at Sean Bean. And the it threw in Uma Thurman and Joe Pantoliano for good measure.

Movie was good - it wasn't super-fantastic, but it was solid. Scripting was especially good - realistic dialogue and reaction. (That pen exchange made me laugh out loud - @ 1:55). Lots of unanswered questions, but that's to be expected from a franchise that can go five movies. Special effects were pretty good, as expected from Chris Columbus. In fact, the flying scenes were quite reminiscent of the HP quidditch scenes (and nothing like the Muggle version).

Would I recommend watching it? It depends: if you're a fan of the books, have kids in tow or like fantasy movies, then yes. If not, I say you save it for a rental. 3 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to seeing this!! You think they will go on and do the whole series? I've seen the preview, but not too much hype about it to get the ratings worthy of sequels, I think. Especially with Harry Potter coming to an end *tear*, you'd think they'd play this series up a bit. I hope it's not the disappointment The Golden Compass was.

I've taken to "listening" to YA on my iPod - so I'm gonna put this on deck for after Kelley Armstrong's Darkest Powers series.

Malecasta said...

This was much better than Golden Compass... but I haven't read the books to compare. As a movie - a solid YA fantasy flick.