Sunday, May 10, 2009

observations during a 2am fire alarm

1) The body tingles when it's awakened from a deep sleep by a shrill insistent sound. It literally tingles. I felt just like the time I got my wisdom teeth removed and they knocked me out - except this time, I was awake. It wasn't until I stepped out on the very cold balcony without any shoes that the tingle stopped.

2) I have never been so grateful to have a silence button.

3) Firemen are just attractive people. Maybe it's some sort of genetic coding? I mean, if you have a compulsion to rush into burning buildings to save things, this suicidal (heroic, but still suicidal) tendency must be tempered with extreme good looks that will allow you propagate faster than your contemporaries. Let's face it - if you're running into infernos, you probably don't have as much time to spawn as, say, an accountant.

4) From my balcony, I watch two pumper trucks empty their occupants, who then disperse into various stairwells. Then, a white/silver SUV pulls up, right next to the fire trucks and out comes a young woman (silver puffy jacket; fur collar; great knee high black boots). Whatever. Bars closed thirty minutes ago. Ten minutes later, black/blue sedan pulls up; young woman (silver puffy jacket; fur collar; great knee high black boots) exits building, gets in car and drives off.

5) Sleep smells like warm cotton, made that way by the heat of a slumbering body. Sleep feels like soft flannel and fluffy pillows. Sleep tastes like hot mint tea. Sleep easily eludes those awakened suddenly, but teases the senses nonetheless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't leave your unit?? I am out the door and down the stairs before you can say Rip Van Winkle. Those pumper trucks can only reach the 6th floor, the rest of you are charcoal krispies!

DK

Malecasta said...

Justin from the concierge desk told us not to panic and that he would tell us what to do. Besides, the elevators don't work during an alarm and I'd burn to death in my bed than of smoke inhalation in the stairwell. I'm on the 16th floor - I'd have no chance of escape.

Unknown said...

That's like me too!! Everytime the fire alarm goes off, I turn it to the Lobby Channel to see the Firemen come in, if they're rushing then I know to leave, otherwise, if I see them just strolling in, I don't worry.

I'm on the 16th floor too - too many stairs LOL

Anonymous said...

That is why you run at the first sound of the alarm, not 15 minutes later. True story someone told me, the alarm went off in her building. Her parents bolted right away and were downstairs in a hurry. They waited 5 more minutes and the hallways were impassable. The early bird gets the worm, my friend.