Thursday, May 22, 2008

Now Playing: Iron Man

[Yeah, I know, it's been out for nearly three weeks... But I've been gone for nearly four, so you'll have to forgive me while I catch up on my movies.]
Ahh, Summer Blockbuster Season. You're like the rowdy younger brother to the sophisticated older sister that is Awards Season (which, for me, is kicked off every September with the TIFF). First up on the SBS schedule: Iron Man, starring Robert Downey Jr., Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow as the ever-efficient Pepper Potts. With a cast like that, can you go wrong? Well, yes, you could - thankfully it didn't.

Plot: a bit weak, but it's the intro film of a franchise. so it's to be expected. The Big Bad bites it a bit too easily, but it's sure fun to watch him to do so. Also: all the surprises? not so surprising. I wasn't too shocked to see who was dealing with whom.

Characters: well-played! Tony Stark is the boy billionaire that Bruce Wayne pretends to be, but is too psychologically scarred to actualise. Stark? Yeah, he really does indulge in wine, women and song as much as he wants; no dank bat-caves for this man - he's got style and money galore (I love how he wants his Iron Man suit to be hot-rod red in order to be less ostentatious) . Pepper Potts - I want to love this woman with her brains-and-beauty package and her fabulous librarian-esque work wardrobe of sensible knee-skirts and 4-inch mary-janes. Paltrow has great energy with Downey Jr., but seems to shine less when he's not around (still one of my favourite scenes of the movie year is the "remember that night?" exchange). Terrence Howard (Jim Rhodes) and Jeff Bridges (Obadiah Stane) do very well in their roles, bringing the right amount of fun and charisma without overplaying their hands. 4 out of 5 stars.

All in all, great start to the SBS. This summer is shaping up to be much better than last summer's yawn-a-thon. With Incredible Hulk, Hellboy, The Dark Knight, Indiana Jones and X-Files coming up, fan boys and girls everywhere are very happy. Prince Caspian, Fugitive Pieces and Stone Angel are keeping the literary crowd pleased. Speed Racer should be an interesting addition to the Wachowski's resume. And Get Smart, my personal indulgence of the summer, should keep me amused, at the very least.

Here's to the summer - and all its wonderful fluff.

No comments: